FAQ - Tenant Obligations


What are my obligations under the Housing Choice Voucher program?


There are several things you must do to keep your voucher under Portland Housing Authority's (PHA) Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. Tenant obligations are part of the Housing Choice Voucher (PDF) document that you signed when you came on the program and resign each time you move.

A brief list of tenant obligations/reasons that a voucher might be revoked includes:
  • Do not move without talking to your landlord and worker at the housing authority to find out what you should do.
  • If any family member commits a crime you may lose your voucher.
  • If you want to add somebody to your home you must call your worker and your landlord to get approval. Never move somebody in without letting the housing authority know or you may lose your voucher. Forms to report a change in family composition are available also.
  • The place that you are renting must be kept clean and in good condition. You must be home for the annual inspection. If your home is not being taken care of the way it should be, the housing authority has the right to take away your voucher.
  • You must always comply with the rules of the lease. For example, if you are evicted from the unit or if you fail to pay your share of rent you could lose your voucher.
  • PHA has the right to take away your voucher permanently if you do not report income changes to them. Reporting a change in Family Income can be conveniently done by phone by calling 207-773-4753 or through forms available at the PHA reception desk.

    You must call your worker at PHA if anybody who lives in your home has a change in the money they receive. This could be:
    • Child support
    • Social security
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
    • Unemployment
    • Wages earned at a job
  • You must complete the annual paperwork in order to be sure your rent is calculated correctly.