Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Portland Housing Authority

Public Housing
Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if my family (if any) and I are eligible for public housing?

If the money you and your family members receive in a year (gross wages, benefits, etc.) is no more than the amount allowed by HUD for the number of people in your family you may be eligible. Most families who receive Social Security or SSI or TANF benefits will qualify. If you work you may also qualify. The current income limits are:

For Portland, ME (Gross income by family size must be equal to or below)

family size









gross income









How do I apply for public housing?

If you think you are eligible and you are interested in applying for public housing in Portland, you will need to come to the office or send a request by mail to PHA at 14 Baxter Boulevard, Portland, ME 04101 or call 207-773-4753.

Is there a waiting list for public housing?

Yes. When you submit an application it will be checked to make sure it is complete. If it is not, it will be returned to you to finish. When the completed application is returned, your name will be placed on our waiting list in order by date and time of its return and with any preference you might qualify for. PHA gives preference to applicants on the waiting list who are considered elderly or disabled or a family with minor children. Placement on the waiting list does not mean you are eligible for public housing. Certification of your eligibility will be done when your name comes to the top of the list.

What if I move after applying?

Once you have applied for public housing, be sure to keep in touch with PHA by responding to any letters from the Intake Department and to let them know if any of your information on the application (address, family members) has changed.

What happens when my name comes to the top of the waiting list?

When your name comes to the top of the list, you will be contacted by someone in our Intake Department and you will be asked to complete a certification application and submit required documents. If you are determined to be eligible at that time you will attend a briefing where you will be told all the details about the public housing program and be offered your public housing apartment.

What can I do if the waiting list is very long and I may not be helped for a long time?

You may apply for assistance from other local housing authorities. HUD provides a list of all the Housing Authorities in the country at: You can also contact for a list of Maine housing authorities and the towns they cover.