Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Portland Housing Authority



How do I know if my family (if any) and I are eligible for the HCV program?

If the money you and your family members receive in a year (gross wages, benefits, etc.) is no more than the amount allowed by HUD for the number of people in your family you may be eligible. Most families who receive Social Security or SSI or TANF benefits will qualify. If you work you may also qualify. The current income limits are:

For Portland, ME (Gross income by family size must be equal to or below)

family size









gross income









Also, if you and your family members are US citizens or legal residents of the U.S. you may be eligible to receive assistance under the voucher program. PHA will need copies of birth certificates, social security cards or any other items needed to determine that you and each of the family members are citizens or legal residents of the U.S.

If you or any family members have not committed any serious crimes you may be eligible for the program. Each housing authority decides what crimes are serious enough to make you and your family ineligible.

How do I apply for a Voucher?

If you think you are eligible and you are interested in applying for a voucher from PHA you will need to come to the office or send a request by mail to PHA at 14 Baxter Boulevard, Portland, ME 04101 or call 207-773-4753.

Is there a waiting list for a voucher?

Yes. When you submit an application it will be checked to make sure it is complete. If it is not, it will be returned to you to finish. When the completed application is returned your name will be placed on our waiting list in order by date and time of its return and with any preference you might qualify for. PHA gives preference to applicants on the waiting list who are considered elderly or disabled or a family with minor children. Placement on the waiting list does not mean you are eligible for the HCV program. Certification of your eligibility will be done when your name comes to the top of the list.

What if I move after applying?

Once you have applied for a voucher be sure to keep in touch with PHA by responding to any letters from the Intake Department and to let them know if any of your information on the application (address, family members) has changed.

What happens when my name comes to the top of the waiting list?

When your name comes to the top of the list you will be contacted by someone in our Intake Department and you will be asked to complete a certification application and submit required documents. If you are determined to be eligible at that time you will attend a briefing where you will be told all the details about the voucher program and be issued your Housing Choice Voucher.

What can I do if the waiting list is closed and PHA is not taking applications?

Many housing authorities have to close their waiting list from time to time. You may apply for the HCV program with any Housing Authority who operates the program. HUD provides a list of all the Housing Authorities in the country at:

You can contact for a list of Maine housing authorities and the towns they cover.

When you receive a voucher there may be restrictions on where you can use it at least during the first 12 months that you have it.