Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Kennedy Park
Bayside Terrace
Portland Housing Authority


Landlord Handbook | Housing Quality Standards | HAP Contract and Tenancy Addendum


Who provides funding for the HCV program?

The US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) provides funds to Portland Housing Authority so we can provide rent subsidies to eligible, low-income individuals and families under the HCV program. Housing Authorities throughout the United States operate this same program in their areas. If a landlord participates in the HCV program the administering housing authority sends a payment for a portion of the rent around the first of the month.

How does the program work?

A voucher-holder may apply to you to rent an apartment, mobile home or single family dwelling. This voucher-holder will have a document called a housing choice voucher that indicates the housing authority who issued the voucher, the unit bedroom size the family qualifies for and states that this family is eligible for funding for rental assistance if they can find an approved unit within the term of the voucher. You can ask this family to complete an application you use or provide you with information you need. If the voucher-holder is a current participant you can call and receive the names and addresses of the prior two landlords, if available from the Housing Officer who signed the Voucher. If the voucher-holder signs a release you may be allowed to view their file. You should take an application and screen the voucher-holder for suitability as a tenant like you would for any other apartment applicant. If the voucher-holder is accepted for the available apartment he/she will give you a form called a Request for Tenancy Approval. This form is completed and sent to the housing authority that issued the voucher. Portland Housing Authority includes other documents that need to be completed and returned as well. The pink cover sheet to the lease-up packet explains which forms these are.

What are the basic requirements for the unit?

The unit must meet HUD’s Housing Quality Standards (HQS) inspection. This inspection will be conducted by a HQS Inspector who works for PHA. HQS information can be reviewed at: .

The rent the landlord is asking for must be a reasonable and affordable. This will be determined by the Housing Officer assigned to the voucher-holder (the name of the Housing Officer is on the voucher). The family cannot pay more than 40% of their household income for housing costs, including any utilities that they are responsible for.

What are the Landlord’s Obligations?

The role of the landlord in the HCV program is to provide decent housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program’s housing quality standards inspection and meet those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with PHA. By practicing these basic rules you will have assurance of a successful tenancy: You can review the Housing Assistance Payments Contract and Tenancy Addendum at: and

Landlords who have voucher tenants should enforce the Lease as they would with any other tenant. The Housing Officers are available to explain what you need to do to keep us informed if there are problems.

How can a landlord make a unit available?

A landlord can contact PHA at 207-773-4753 and ask to have your unit and/or name be placed on a list. Your listing will be made available to voucher-holders who are looking for available units to rent.